Sam Walker’s long-awaited rise to the State of Origin arena has been confirmed, with the Roosters halfback tasked with filling the enormous Maroons void left by the injured Tom Dearden.
Despite a late push for Newcastle fullback Kalyn Ponga to be called on to don the No.7 jumper, Walker will achieve what his father and uncle – former Broncos stars Ben and Shane – could not in making his way into the Origin furnace, an opportunity which opened after Dearden suffered a syndesmosis injury.
They are big shoes to fill, with Dearden the reigning Wally Lewis Medal winner, while Ponga has instead beaten out Brisbane No.1 Reece Walsh for the job at the back.
Walker had been heavily favoured to clinch the halfback duties before he had some defensive deficiencies exposed in the past two weeks. He does, however, bring one of the most complete short kicking games to the table, and his creative instincts have drawn comparisons to Maroons great Allan Langer.
“I think there are a lot of similarities with Afl [Langer], people questioned whether Alf could do it because of his size, people questioned whether Alf could do it because of his defence, but Alf could do things that a lot of other players couldn’t,” Queensland and Broncos legend Darren Lockyer said on Friday.
“He had his small kicking game, had an ability to read the game, so I think Sam comparing him to Alf, there are a lot of similarities there. I remember when I played people questioned my defence too, so I think it just motivates you more to be better at it.
“I suspect given the talk around Sam and his defence … that’ll make him better.”
Coach Billy Slater’s call to usher Ponga in as his fullback comes at the expense of Walsh, with the incumbent Kangaroos No.1 and reigning Clive Churchill Medallist overlooked for the squad entirely.
While he announced himself as the NRL’s best player in a dream run to last year’s premiership with Brisbane, Walsh has endured a hot and cold comeback from a fractured cheekbone three weeks ago.
Queensland’s other fullback contender, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, has been named in the centres, and will be joined by three Dolphins teammates, with Max Plath garnering a debut at lock, while Selwyn Cobbo and Thomas Flegler will make their returns to the interstate arena.
It is an emotional call-up for Flegler, who battled fears his career would be over after suffering nerve damage in his shoulder in the early rounds of the 2024 campaign. He only made his way back to the field this year.
Meanwhile, Cobbo has overcome a frustrating end to his time at the Broncos last year – in which a late-season hamstring injury kept him from featuring in the triumphant grand final side – to find his best form in Redcliffe.
The 23-year-old has cut a noticeably leaner figure since the preseason, and his work rate has improved drastically under coach Kristian Woolf – many of his 178 running metres a game produced while getting his side off their own tryline.
“He’s ready to go back in that arena. You’ve seen how he played at the start of the year, his carries out of yardage … he’s a special talent,” Tabuai-Fidow said of Cobbo, following the Dolphins’ Magic Round win against the Rabbitohs.
“I think him going back into Origin camp it’ll be a big confidence boost for him. When he first came to the club he was happy and the boys loved having him around, and his work ethic [is something] he’s worked on throughout the preseason.
“It shows out there, he’s a special player and has still got a long way to go too.”
Jojo Fifita will debut on the other wing despite a poor Magic Round outing for the Titans – coming up with four errors.
Queensland Maroons game one squad
1. Kalyn Ponga; 2. Selwyn Cobbo; 3. Robert Toia; 4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow; 5. Jojo Fifita; 6. Cameron Munster; 7. Sam Walker; 8. Tom Flegler; 9. Harry Grant; 10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui; 11. Reuben Cotter; 12. Kurt Capewell; 13. Max Plath; 14. Briton Nikora; 15. Lindsay Collins; 16. Pat Carrigan; 17.Trent Loiero; 18. Ezra Mam; 19. Gehamat Shibasaki; 20. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki
No room could be found for breakout edge forwards Heilum Luki and Kulikefu Finefeuiaki – who was named as 20th man – in favour of seasoned Origin campaigners Kurt Capewell and Reuben Cotter.
Pat Carrigan has been named on the bench despite being placed on report for a crusher tackle in the Broncos’ loss to the Warriors, and is joined on the six-man bench by club teammates Ezra Mam and Gehamat Shibasaki.
Briton Nikora will become Queensland’s first player to benefit from the NRL’s eligibility law changes, which allow those who have represented tier one Test nations to play Origin, provided they began playing junior rugby league in their respective states before their 13th birthday.
Get alerts on significant breaking news as happens. Sign up for our Breaking News Alert.
