Voters give budget worst marks in five years, according to poll; Trump says planned attacks on Iran called off; WHO sends team of experts to the Congo as Ebola death toll reaches 110

Voters give budget worst marks in five years, according to poll; Trump says planned attacks on Iran called off; WHO sends team of experts to the Congo as Ebola death toll reaches 110

Washington: US President Donald Trump said he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because “serious negotiations” are underway.

Trump did not offer details about the planned attack but said in a social media post on Monday (Washington time) that he had instructed the US military “to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”

President Donald Trump.AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein

The president had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for May 19, but over the weekend he warned, “For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them.”

Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire struck in mid-April could end if Iran did not strike a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement.

Trump said in his social media post that he was calling off the planned strike at the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.

AP

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *